Michael R. Bloomberg, Dr. Henry A. Kissinger, Henry M. Paulson, Jr., Zeng Peiyan, Ursula Burns, Gary Cohn, Bill Gates, Martin Lau, Strive Masiyiwa, Lubna Al-Olayan, Condoleezza Rice, Lawrence H. Summers, Tung Chee-hwa, Zhang Lei, Zhou Xiaochuan and 500 global business and government leaders gather at second annual forum to discuss emerging economies and technologies
New York and Beijing, May 20, 2019 – Bloomberg and the China Center for International Economic Exchanges (CCIEE) today announced that the 2019 New Economy Forum will be held in Beijing on November 20-22 on the shores of Yanqi Lake, looking out at the Great Wall. Nearly 500 of the world’s most influential business executives, technology innovators, government officials, experts and academics from over 60 countries and regions will gather in Beijing to propose solutions to the massive disruption that’s occurring, as the balance of global economic power shifts towards the Asia Pacific.
The new economy will increasingly be shaped by emerging powers as well as by advanced technologies, while an industrial revolution is fostering critical developments in the fields of science and technology, trade and finance. At the same time, trade protectionism is on the rise and multilateral institutions such as the WTO are facing challenges. Will conflicts over trade push countries to continue building walls that impede the flow of ideas, people, capital and other critical elements of production? Can collaboration enable growth that is inclusive and sustainable? The leaders attending the New Economy Forum are committed to working together and sharing insights to address looming challenges that could imperil prosperity and social stability.
Launched in 2018 by Michael R. Bloomberg, Founder of Bloomberg L.P. and Bloomberg Philanthropies, and Three-Term Mayor of New York City, the New Economy Forum is committed to promoting the smooth transition from the old economy — one based on labor-intensive manufacturing and trade in goods — to a new one focused on industrial automation, digital services and exchanges of data. The New Economy Forum has become a unique global convening platform where businesses and governments, using facts and data, can engage in an open exchange of ideas on how to ease the global transition that is underway.
Co-hosted by Bloomberg and the China Center for International Economic Exchanges, the 2019 New Economy Forum will focus on the topics of global economic governance, trade, technology, finance and capital markets, climate change, urbanization and inclusion. The forum will search for solutions to key challenges and issues brought about by global economic transitions, explore how to foster critical development drivers in the new economic era, promote sustainable development, reduce inequality and address climate change worldwide.
“We are experiencing a period of profound change in the world, where new economic centers are emerging, new trading alliances are being formed and new technologies are upending industries,” said Michael R. Bloomberg. “The New Economy Forum will address these seismic shifts through high-level and frank dialogue, while also fostering private-public collaboration. China is an integral part of these discussions, and the New Economy Forum will bring leaders there from around the world to tackle common challenges and advance our shared interests.”
The forum’s Advisory Board includes many of the world’s most influential government and business leaders, led by former U.S. Secretary of State and National Security Advisor Dr. Henry A. Kissinger as Honorary Chair, along with former U.S. Treasury Secretary and Paulson Institute Chairman Henry M. Paulson, Jr. and Zeng Peiyan, Former Vice Premier of the State Council, PRC and Chairman of CCIEE, as co-Chairs.
Dr. Henry A. Kissinger said, “The world is undergoing a historic transformation. Different societies, themselves in flux, are seeking ways of shaping their relationships with each other in a manner that promotes new avenues of peace and progress. China and the United States, as the two largest economies and technologically most advanced countries, have a critical role in this process. The New Economy Forum will provide an opportunity for this global dialogue among outstanding personalities. I support the visionary initiative of my long-time friend, Mike Bloomberg, in setting up this forum and look forward to participating.”
Zeng Peiyan said, “Today’s world is facing a once-in-a-century transition. A new round of technological revolution and industrial transformations are profoundly changing the world. New economies, new businesses and new growth drivers are developing robustly, emerging economies are growing rapidly, and the reform of global governance systems and international order are accelerating. The world is full of hope and challenges. Developed and developing countries should work together to build a peaceful, prosperous and beautiful community for all mankind.”
Henry M. Paulson, Jr. said, “In the spirit of its founder, The Bloomberg New Economy Forum is action-oriented and focused on achieving real results. At a time when governments and businesses around the world are buffeted by new and emerging risks, the forum provides an opportunity for leaders to better understand these challenges and forge joint solutions.”
We are pleased to receive the support and participation of our advisors, including:
- Henry A. Kissinger former U.S. Secretary of State and National Security Advisor
- Henry M. Paulson, Jr. former U.S. Treasury Secretary and Paulson Institute Chairman
- Zeng Peiyan Former Vice Premier of the State Council, PRC and Chairman of CCIEE
- Mukesh Ambani Chairman, Reliance Industries Limited
- Bassem Awadallah CEO, Tomoh Advisory
- Ursula Burns Chairman, Veon Ltd.
- Gary Cohn Former Assistant to the U.S. President for Economic Policy and Director of the National Economic Council
- Orit Gadiesh Chairman, Bain & Company
- Bill Gates Co-Chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Ken Griffin Founder and CEO, Citadel
- Walter Isaacson Professor of History, Tulane University; Former CEO, The Aspen Institute
- Yoriko Kawaguchi Former Minister of Foreign Affairs and Environment, Japan; Fellow, Musashino Institute for Global Affairs
- Martin Lau President, Tencent
- Jorge Paulo Lemann Founder, 3G Capital
- Jack Ma Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group
- Strive Masiyiwa Founder and Executive Chairman, Econet Group
- Nandan Nilekani Chairman, Infosys Limited
- Eyal Ofer Chairman, Ofer Global
- Lubna Al-Olayan CEO, Olayan Financing Company
- Penny Pritzker Former U.S. Secretary of Commerce; Founder, PSP Partners
- Raghuram Rajan Former Governor, Reserve Bank of India; Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Condoleezza Rice Former U.S. Secretary of State and National Security Advisor
- David M. Rubenstein Co-Founder and Co-Executive Chairman, The Carlyle Group
- Kevin Rudd Former Prime Minister, Australia; President, Asia Society Policy Institute
- Minouche Shafik Former Deputy Governor, Bank of England; Director, London School of Economics and Politics
- Tharman Shanmugaratnam Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for Social Policies, Republic of Singapore
- Lawrence H. Summers Former U.S. Treasury Secretary and President Emeritus and the Charles W. Eliot University Professor at Harvard University
- Tung Chee-hwa Former Chief Executive of Hong Kong; Vice Chairman, National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)
- Janet Yellen Former Chair, U.S. Federal Reserve Board of Governors
- Zhang Lei Founder, Chairman and CEO, Hillhouse Capital Management Group
- Zhou Xiaochuan Former Governor, People’s Bank of China; Vice Chairman, Boao Forum for Asia and Chief Representative of China
- Robert Zoellick Former President, World Bank; Principal, Brunswick Group
“The New Economy Forum brings together global leaders from across sectors to discuss data-driven, results-oriented solutions to some of the most pressing challenges facing the world today,” said Bill Gates. “I am looking forward to this year’s meeting in Beijing, where we will discuss harnessing technology and innovation to improve the global economy.”
The 2019 forum is supported by ten partner companies and their corporate leadership, including: Mike Roman, Chairman of the Board and CEO, 3M; H.E. Dr. Sultan Al Jaber, Minister of State, United Arab Emirates, and Group CEO, ADNOC; Aliko Dangote, President and Chief Executive, Dangote Industries Limited; Darren W. Woods, Chairman and CEO, ExxonMobil; Frederick W. Smith, Chairman and CEO, FedEx; John M. Flint, Group Chief Executive, HSBC; Euisun Chung, Executive Vice Chairman, Hyundai Motor Group; Ajay Banga, President and CEO, Mastercard; Natarajan Chandrasekaran, Executive Chairman, Tata Sons. This year’s forum also welcomes its first Chinese Partner, Yu Liang, Chairman, Vanke. McKinsey and Company is the exclusive knowledge partner.
Additional details about the Forum, including the agenda and delegates, will be announced at a future date. For more details, visit neweconomyforum.com. To join the conversation and stay up-to-date on the forum, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, WeChat, & Weibo using #NewEconForum.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Terminal. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength: leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. For more information, visit Bloomberg.com/company or request a demo.
Founded on March 20th, 2009, China Center for International Economic Exchanges (CCIEE), is a social organization and a new type of think tank, registered with and approved by the relevant authorities of the Chinese government. Guided by the philosophy of “Originality, Objectivity, Rationality and Compatibility”, CCIEE aims to serve national development, improve people’s welfare and promote exchanges and cooperation by conducting research on strategic and economic issues both at home and abroad, developing international exchanges and cooperation and providing consulting services and intellectual support to the government and business in decision making. For more information, visit www.cciee.org.cn.
# # #
# # #
Contacts for Bloomberg: